Spring Garden Care Tips in Northern Virginia
The warmer weather days begin to sporadically greet us in Northern Virginia and homeowners should take advantage of these warm days by getting outside and preparing your garden. Start by giving your garden and landscape a walkthrough and identify areas that may need attention. Give your lawn a general pick up of fallen branches and sticks so you can check for damage or loss with your plantings and lawn itself. Then make a plan, decide if you want to add privacy plantings, new outdoor living space or simply maintain your garden by adding key plantings, trees and bulbs.
NORTHERN VIRGINIA SPRING PLANT MAINTENANCE
Spring is the time to give your garden a boost after all the harsh winter weather.
You can help your garden grow and thrive by:
- Spring Clean Up and Mulch – clean out beds of leaves, weeds, and debris. Before you put down mulch be sure to redefine your beds and hardscape areas by hand edging. Giving your lawn clean lines between beds, trees, and hardscapes brings about definition. Next, it is time to apply 1 to 2 inches of shredded hardwood mulch. Mulch provides protection, moisture, and stunts the growth of weeds.
- Pruning Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges – Spring is the time to cut back your flowering plantings and address the pruning of your other plants, trees, and hedges. Deadheading a flowing plant stimulates growth and it looks clean and neat as well. A professional landscaper becomes important to identify how to cut and prune trees or shrub for growth. The key here is to figure out how and in which direction you want your plants to grow. For example, you may need a tree to grow in a specific direction for use in privacy. You also may just want an ornamental tree to come to life which takes a designer’s eye to predict the growth for the next few months.
- Shrub Fertilization and Pre-emergent Weed Control – Our team of skilled landscape maintenance managers recommend a broadcast application of slow-release fertilizer with pre-emergent weed control to all ornamental bed spaces. This application will help ornamental trees and shrubs thrive. Pre-emergent weed control will help to prevent the spread of weeds that propagate from seed.
- Lawn Fertilizer – In March, apply your first Application of Pre-emergent Crabgrass Control + Fertilizer.
- Systems Checks – Spring is the time to check how your home’s systems are working. This can include checking the function of yard systems such as pools, ponds, irrigation systems, and lighting systems.
PLANTING BULBS IN SPRING
Color catches the eye. When you drive by a beautiful well-maintained home, often it is the colors that first grasp your attention. You may not even realize the impact color has on the eye’s attention. Plant bulbs in sunny areas as they don’t like dense moisture. Plant your bulbs to a depth of about three times of their diameter. Replace soil on top of the bulb and enjoy your gorgeous flowers!
PLANTING SHRUBS AND TREES IN SPRING
Our Northern Virginia Planting Services
At O’Grady’s Landscape, we pay careful attention to each detail throughout all stages of plant installation in the Stone Ridge VA area. We offer a wide variety of plant materials to each client, allowing you to choose from a unique mix of trees, shrubs, and flowers; our landscape designers can also help you select landscape plants that provide seasonal interest year-round. What’s more, we include itemized plant lists and detailed drawings in our landscape designs so you’ll have a clear vision of how your landscape will look when your project is completed.
More specifically, our landscape planting services include:
- Foundation plantings
- Privacy screening
- Trees and shrubs
- Groundcover installation
- Specimen plants
- Seasonal color
O’Grady’s Landscape & Lawn Care, Inc. is a full-service lawn and landscape company serving residents in the Northern Virginia area since 1991. Our team of professionals are quality trained in choosing, installing and maintaining plant materials. Our designers have over 20 years of experience and would gladly meet with you. Email us at [email protected] or call us at 703-533-5001 for a free consultation.
Latest posts by Marie O'Grady (see all)
- Spring Garden Care Tips in Northern Virginia - February 4, 2020
- Spring Lawn Care Checklist in Northern Virginia - January 21, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Make Your Landscape Fit for Spring in Northern VA - January 15, 2020